Getting a moving check list is the best thing you can do for yourself when beginning a move. Whether it’s returning home from a dorm or moving an entire family across country moving check lists will make the event easier and less stressful.
There are many moving check lists on the internet for both small and big moves. There are some very thorough moving check lists available from moving companies without obligation.
Moving checks list aren't perfect. There are things that people forget and tips from experienced movers that really help. Below are a few important items that are often neglected on moving check lists.
* Have a going away party: You can say goodbye to friends, neighbors and acquaintances without having to visit, or turn down, invites from everybody. This gives you a chance to dispose of food, liquor and goods that you don’t want to transport. Put the stuff out and ask them to help themselves. Set up a party for your children so they can say goodbye to their friends and classmates.
* Propane tanks: Unless you are taking it in your own car you’ll have to get rid of your propane tanks.
* House plants: Not mentioned on most moving check lists, movers won’t take or guarantee house plants. They can’t be housed inside a truck. No light, water and severe temperature changes can kill them.
* Get your drapes and rugs cleaned: When they come back leave them in the plastic. It’s nice to have clean rugs in your new home!
* Have your valuables appraised: Antiques, paintings anything that has a significant value and could be damaged during a move should be appraised. Keep these documents with you or mail them ahead to your new address.
Moving check lists are the essential first step to planning a smooth stress free move. Even when you have one it’s worth while to keep looking for additional tips!